Stupid = any reason other than: I love this, this fits perfectly, looks amazing and I actually need it.
All these have happened, so I invite you to join me in learning from my mistakes:
- I was cold. And yes, of course I had plenty of warm clothes at home. In fact, most of these purchases happened on the way home.
- I was in New York.
- I was in San Francisco.
- I was in Paris.
- I was stressed out.
- I was bored.
- I was tired.
- I was too lazy to return something I ordered online, telling myself it would be ok because it checked almost all boxes.
- I received an (unexpected) monetary gift.
- I happened to pass by the store.
- I spent a day shopping and hadn’t found anything yet.
- I wanted to own a pair of flats for every day of the week.
- I liked the color.
- It was on sale.
- It was something my fantasy self would wear.
- It was used. Great start, but if I don’t actually need it, that’s not enough reason to buy it.
- It was silk.
- It was cashmere.
- It was a specific brand I really wanted to own. This has happened way too many times.
- It was a brand people I considered “cool” wore. I barely wore the item because visible logos embarrass me. If only I had had this kind of self-knowledge before the purchase…
- It glittered.
- Mom offered to pay.
And that is probably not the full extent – many clothes I have gotten rid of years ago may have been bought for even worse reasons. Unfortunately, I have forgotten about them, so let’s hope I’ve internalized those lessons, otherwise I’ll have to re-make those mistakes to learn them once and for all… Here’s to mending my ways!
What are your not-so-stellar reasons for buying clothes?